Certificate programme "Interculturally competent teaching"
The Interculturality Network has been working on a training programme for members of the University of Bayreuth on the topic of interculturality since 2018. A supplementary study programme for students was launched in 2020. In 2022, we will publish a new, relevant advanced training programme that builds on existing offerings from various UBT institutions. Teachers, researchers and administrative support staff can now each complete their own certificate programme. In doing so, they work on intercultural competences that they can apply in their working day.
Internationalisation at the University of Bayreuth has continuously increased and also forms a university politic objective. International students are highly welcome and attend the lectures at UBT. In addition to possible language problems, there are often misunderstandings about how to deal with learning processes. Teaching and learning cultures can be very different in an international context. With the certificate "Interculturally Competent Teaching", we would like to support all UBT teachers in taking an analytical look at teaching and learning situations with international students and optimising them for all involved. Trained intercultural trainers are at your disposal here and with the certificate you can also make your acquired competences visible to the outside world.
The certificate programme for teachers is based at the Center for Learning and Teaching in Higher Education of the University of Bayreuth. The certificate programme is divided into several modules. Teachers attend all courses to complete the certificate.
The certificate programme is divided into several modules. Teachers attend all courses to complete the certificate.
- "Culture and Intercultural Awareness" (seminar language English), 9 units, 16.2.2023 in hybrid (on site and online workshop at one) (link booking)
Advanced course, choice of two courses:
- a) "Teaching in multicultural classrooms" (seminar language English), 17 AE, 16.2. and 15.7.22 in in hybrid (on site and online workshop at one) (link booking)
- b) "Engaging students for Academic Writing" (seminar language English), 10 units, 17.11., 1.12. and 8.12.22 (link to booking)
Transfer to own course:
- Implementation of the impulses from the seminars in a teaching project accompanied by interculturality experts, including conception, implementation, evaluation, reflection report (15 AE)
- Hospitation of interculturality experts in own course including observation report (8 units)
Optional, to reach 50 units of work (Arbeitseinheiten):
- a) Seminars on building language competence at the Language Centre (contact Regina Richter)
- b) Seminars at the Writing Centre of the University of Bayreuth with an international focus (contact Ms Kathrin Stöver).
Please register in this course if you want to attend this certificate programme.
Your contact for enquiries is Dr. Frank Meyer.